Scale simulation of wind turbines on Red Oak Knob (4.2 miles) and
Tamarack Ridge(5.8 miles) looking west from Monterey Mountain;
sufficient to make Highland County a net exporter of electricity
We are Highland New Wind Development, LLC, commercial windpower developers with a vision.
We see a future unclouded by global warming, air and water pollution, acid rain and
oceans, and dependence on foreign energy. HNWD claims that vision and is taking action
to generate that future for Highland County and all Americans, now and for decades to come.
Greenest Windfarm in the World...
- first windpower facility to be licensed by the Virginia State Corporation Commission
- energy to harvest; highest windspeeds on the mid-Atlantic seaboard
- not wilderness; a working private property
with a centuries-long history of profit-making extractive land use:
farming, gas exploration, grazing, and hunting.
Like most of Highland County, it has been and still is extensively logged.
Many of its hollows once held railroad tracks for transporting cut timber by steam locomotive.
Today the property is transected by miles of logging roads.
Windpower, by contrast, will be its most renewable and least intrusive land use ever.
- zero deforestation; a generations-old cowpasture bald:
- 50-year ownership and stewardship of the land by the developer
- powerline in place decades ago
- adjacent to a U.S. highway
- close to the markets it serves
All text and images ©
Highland New Wind Development, LLC. All rights reserved.